Friday, June 18, 2010

Roasted Beets

Beets are fairly new vegetables for me. I certainly didn't grow up eating them and I have only recently grown to really appreciate their earthy, sweet flavor.

I had yet to cook them myself until this week when I purchased a bundle of beets and used the following recipe to roast them. They came out great and I initially enjoyed them on a bed of lettuce, goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. They continued to be a great side dish to many other weekly meals.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim the top and stems off the beets.
2. Place beets in a small baking dish and add 1/4 inch water (or you could use orange juice for more flavor).
3. Cover dish with foil and roast for 35-50 minutes, or until the beets are tender (like a baked potato).
4. Cool slightly. Working quickly and using your fingers, peel off the skin and discard.
5. Slice into wedges or chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment