Sunday, September 19, 2010

Reed Avocado


A couple weeks ago, on my aunt's suggestion, I purchased a Reed avocado from the Hollywood Farmers' Market. This avocado, unlike the typical pear-shaped Haas, is large and round, like a cannon ball. The farmer I purchased it from only has it available for a couple summer months each year. The Reed's ripeness is optimal when it yields to gentle pressure. I seemed to use it in almost every dish for a week and it lasted and tasted amazing throughout. Not turning brown or mushing up in salads and the like. To die for.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post - I was looking for a picture with a hand to see the proportion of a reed avocado. Wish they were still in season but November seems to be the end of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Al! I wish you many Reed Avocados next season.

    ReplyDelete