Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunland Watermelon Festival


I visited Sunland today for their annual Watermelon Festival knowing nothing about this community that is just 20 or so minutes north of me. I learned that they don't have any farms there but they do love watermelon. The Festival was more of a community gathering with carnival rides, band, theater for children, and WATERMELON! They gave out free watermelon slices and I learned how to pick a good whole watermelon that I will be enjoying for the rest of the week.

How to Pick a Good Watermelon

1. The melon can be round or oval in shape, as long as it is symmetrical.
2. Test for firmness. There should be no soft spots.
3. Dark green melons tend to be sweeter.
4. The most juicy melons are going to feel heavy for their size.
5. The bottom of the melon will be discolored where the melon was in contact with the ground while it was growing. A yellowish-white spot means it's probably ripe. A light green spot means it probably isn't.
6. If you thump the side of a ripe watermelon, it will sound hollow.

I carried a watermelon?!

No comments:

Post a Comment