Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chapter 17: Celebration Days (Part 1)

In my household credo, Thanksgiving is Creation's birthday party. Praise harvest, a pause and sigh on the breath of immortality.

So tomorrow is my absolutely favorite holiday of the year...THANKSGIVING! It is a time for me to be with family, share my blessings with those I love, enjoy the best flavors and traditions I know, and kick some serious butt at cribbage. I drive home to Phoenix in the morning. I have my audiobook all queued up on my iPod. If all goes well, I should arrive around 2:00, pick up my sister and head out to my parents' house for a solid couple hours of full vegging out and snacking before the meal commences. Oh and this year I am contributing a dish that must be made once I arrive...Roasted Brussels Sprouts! I don't recall ever eating brussels sprouts in our family so I surveyed everyone beforehand to make sure they like this delicious, seasonal vegetable. Lucky me, the vast majority of my kin said they loved them. I love that I will be bringing something new and dear to my heart (seasonal veggie) to the table. Let's hope I do it justice.

In Chapter 17, Kingsolver observes that Thanksgiving revolves around a meal comprised of "what North America has to offer at the end of a good growing season." My gratitude is in abundance. Let's all praise the harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment