Saturday, January 8, 2011

Daikon

In an effort to experiment with blessed root vegetables this time of year, I purchased a daikon at the Farmers Market last weekend. This is a brand new vegetable for me as I've never eaten nor cooked with daikon.

Daikon is a mild-flavored Asian radish. There are several different varieties. The one I purchased looked like a large white carrot. You want to select ones that are pure white, feel firm and heavy, and are free of sprouts, cracks or bruises. It can be stored for some weeks in a cool dry place. Daikons are an extremely versatile vegetable that can be eaten raw, pickled, or cooked.

They are very low in calories and rich in vitamin C, potassium and folate. It contains active enzymes that aid digestion. The daikon's leaves can also be eaten and are rich in vitamin C, beta carotene, calcium, and iron.

This evening I added daikon to my cooked seafood medley with pesto. I had it raw but it included some preparation nonetheless.


1. Peel daikon and cut lengthwise into very thin slices.
2. Soak in a bowl of lightly salted water in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Drain daikon. Rinse and pat dry. I then julienned my strips. Voila!

2 comments:

  1. How did the dish taste? I've never even heard of daikon, but it looks like a delicious addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good. It's a radish and tastes as such but a little sweeter. I had never heard of it either. Love trying seasonal veggies that are new to me!

    ReplyDelete