Sunday, January 16, 2011

Meyer Lemon Cupcakes

While watching the AFC playoff game today, I enjoyed another one of my favorite activities...BAKING. I baked a slightly modified version of the lemon cupcakes from Z's Cup of Tea.

Cakes
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon curd
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 egg whites
pinch salt
2 tsp Meyer lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
2. Beat egg yolks until they reach the ribbon stage. I did this by hand using the method in the video link below. It took about 5 minutes and cost me a very sore forearm. I would suggest a simple electric mixer instead.
3. Mix in honey and lemon curd to beaten egg yolks.
4. Add lemon extract, vanilla extract, coconut flour, and baking soda.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with salt and lemon juice until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold stiff egg whites into the batter.
7. Pour batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about halfway.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the surface of each cupcake springs back.

Icing
8 ounces of vegan cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup honey (approximate)

1. Blend cream cheese, extracts, and honey. Adjust ingredients to your preferred flavor.
These seasonal Meyer lemon cupcakes came out tasting super good and were relatively easy to make (especially with an electric mixer.) I love the combination of coconut flour and lemon flavors.

I had a great Sunday. Go Jets!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious. Wish you could use the lemons on our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we will. You and I need to bake and puzzle soon!

    ReplyDelete